href="http://www.fortbendisd.com/about/documents/handbook0304.pdf">
Cell Phones/Paging Devices The possession of cell phones and/or paging devices on school property is allowed, however,the use of either device during established school hours is prohibited. Devices must be kept outof sight and turned off at all times. Violations: 1st offense: Device confiscated by campus administrator and released to thestudent’s parent. Disciplinary action is at the discretion of theadministrator. 2nd offense: Device is confiscated and turned over to police department at which time there will be a $15.00 administrative fee attached that will beused to fund our campus crime stoppers program. 3rd offense: Device is confiscated and turned over to police department at which time it will be auctioned off and the proceeds will be distributed tothe students crime stoppers account. The student will not receive his/her device back on the 3rd violation.
I decided to check out the Fort Bend ISD student/parent handbook about their cell phone AUP because I live in Sugar Land and I will be doing my student teaching here and then teaching here. I like what they have to say about their cell phone policy. They used to not allow cell phones on the premises at all. If a teacher or an administrator or teacher found one, they would confiscate it and then call for a parent/teacher conference. They now allow then on the premises if they are turned off during instructional hours. I agree with this statement. However, I would like to use them every now and then for instructional purposes. As a teacher, I might do a lesson and then take an online poll about the unit. I would like the students to get out their cell phones and vote for their opinion on the poll. This would not be mandatory, seeing as some do not have cell phones. This would merely be an experiment to see what the opinions would be. Another benefit would be that it is a good way to incorporate technology in the classroom. I want the students to know how to learn through various venues. This may speak volumes to a child because it is what they are familiar with. I want to teach and want my students to learn through whatever means necessary. I would monitor this very well and would also maintain constant parent communication on the subject. There would be consequences if someone left their cell phone on after the experiment was over. Students need to be taught to respect technology.
No comments:
Post a Comment