Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Safety Problems with AUP

http://awurl.com/vcQYKSTyO

In this part of the article it states that in a state of emergency students would jam the signals when trying to call out. We've all experienced this in many situations. I know I experienced it myself on September 11 when I had my phone at school and our teachers allowed us to call our family. I even experienced it this past September during the hurricane. It can be very annoying not being able to reach the person you need to get a hold of in a situation that is somewhat important like after a hurricane, but imagine in an emergency situation and needing to get ahold of someone for help but not getting through because lines are jammed with kids letting parents know they are ok. Maybe this sound horrible of me and yes I do not have kids of my own, but sometimes parents need to have too much control over their children. It would be ok for a child to call and say, "hi mom or dad I'm ok", but we both know the conversation would not stop there and for some thousands of kids having to tell each parent that and going through the hold spew of what happen and who's hurt and who's ok and who did it. Well if someone really is hurt and others are trying to call out for help or someone is stuck somewhere trapped and has a phone but can't get through because your keeping the line busy, well it just seems pointless to me.
This could all go back to the whole I hate having a cell phone strapped to my side at all times and if I don't answer it people think I'm dying complex I have. I think children should not be able to use phones at school period. I don't even think they should be allowed, honestly, I think elementary kids having phones is just ridiculous in and of itself. I do understand the whole safety factor that parents are trying to convince themselves that its the reason they talked themselves into letting their child have one. They are kids though, they need to play and have fun, not worry about carrying around a phone and who will call them next. 
Anyway, back to the article. I agree with the law enforcement officials. I think even with specific rules in place people will freak out when something happens forget all rules and call home. Its our human nature. We want to talk to the people we care about, the ones that love us, we want to know that we will be ok, we want to hear it from them. Last year when the prisoners got loose I was in an elementary in Huntsville for my reading block. We were stuck in a classroom for hours because the whole school was on lock down. Even a room full of college students all took out their cell phones and called our parents, family and loved ones. We wanted to know what was going one. We couldn't get any information or news but others could. Kids these days are just as smart if not smarter and technology is even better. They will probably want to know what is going on as well. Some rule telling them not to use their phone to call home or search the web won't stop them, and once they reach mom telling her what's going on, land lines will be jammed as well.

No comments: