http://awurl.com/mQ4hWrxSy
This article tells the reader about the different policies that are in effect across America both negative and positive. All I ever hear is how cell phones should not be allowed in schools, but some schools are taking a different approach to it. Some schools in New York are going against the state rules and are piloting a program that gives cel phones to their students with 130 minutes on them. The students can receive more free minutes by attending class, making good grades, or showing any other good behavior. Wow, what a great way to reward your students! Teachers are able to send text messages letting students know what is due and can call them if they need to. We live in a technology world and we should live it in not banned it from schools. These teachers have taken on a new perspective on cell phones and are using them to their advantage. As pre-service teachers we all know how hard it can be to discipline and reward our students inside of the rules. These teachers now have a new incentive and punishment for the students. The program will not be evaluated until the summer, but I am betting it is going to work.
Before I read this article I thought that cell phones in the school were a hindrance and that they should be monitored closely. I believed that you can not stop students from having them if their parents made them, but there was no use for them in the classroom. After reading this article my perspective has done a 180. I would love to teach in one of these schools so I could see exactly how the students are responding to the new cell phone policy. As a teacher I would love to have the opportunity to be able to get in touch of my students any time I needed to and be able to survey them through the cell phone instead wasting class time. It is all in the eye of the beholder!
Thursday, November 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment