Thursday, November 20, 2008

The library is not the place for cell phones!

http://awurl.com/73sPqbk7R

As some of you know, I work in the library on campus. I also want get my Masters Degree in Library Science so I plan on spending a good majority of my life in a library. (Ugh, I'm such a nerd!) As I was searching for cell phone AUPs on the internet, I came across on for the University of New Orleans' campus library cell phone policies. This kind of surprised me, seeing a higher education facility posting these policies. I definitely believe there should be restrictions for younger students because either they don't know better or have not yet learned how to control their behavior. You would assume that college students - who can be classified as "adults" - would have more cell phone etiquette than younger students, but after working in the SHSU library for a year-and-a-half, I have realized that is not the case. I believe there should be restrictions for college students using cell phones in libraries...or restrictions for anyone in any library for that matter.

I liked how UNO gave their students specific places in the library where cell phones could be used. I don't think they should be banned all together. Having designated places makes gives those who are there to work/study peace and quiet but at the same time it gives them a place to make/receive a phone call when necessary. The next bullet down after this policy, it does remind the students that even though they are in an area where they are free to talk, they should still be considerate of others and keep their conversations short and low. The last thing I highlighted (and this is where the mean-ness comes out in me) was their right to ask anyone to leave who is breaking these policies. It always bothers me when people break rules/policies and no one says anything, especially when people are trying to read or get their work done! I just don't understand how people can have a conversation in a quiet library for the whole world to hear their personal business.

So, to make a long story short - I like these short, simple policies for the UNO students to follow while they are in the campus library. Maybe SHSU should look into adopting the same policies....

No comments: